Newcastle United vs. Manchester City – Football Match Report – August 21, 2022

Newcastle United vs.  Manchester City – Football Match Report – August 21, 2022

A second-half comeback saw Premier League champions Manchester City dramatically draw 3-3 with Newcastle United at St James’ Park on Sunday.

City — who went behind by two goals in the match — dropped points for the first time this season, leaving Arsenal as the only Premier League side to have won their opening three matches.

– Ranking every Big Six transfer
– Don’t have ESPN? Get instant access

City capitalized on early lackluster Newcastle defending as Ilkay Gundogan was picked out in the box and granted time to adjust himself and fire home beyond Nick Pope to take a fifth-minute lead.

Eddie Howe’s side responded well, forging several chances. Miguel Almiron spurned the best of which by firing over after being teed up by Allan Saint-Maximin in an eventful opening 20 minutes.

But Almiron did deservedly draw the game level in the 28th minute. His improvised finish from Saint-Maximin’s cross was initially ruled out for offside but a VAR check overturned the decision and granted Newcastle their leveler.


Newcastle had the best of their opponents in the first half and they were rewarded six minutes before the break. More probing by Saint-Maximin allowed the France winger to play in Callum Wilson, who cut inside and fired past Ederson with the outside of his boot.

Erling Haaland, who had been subdued in the first half, struck the post seven minutes after the interval.

However it was Newcastle who struck next and extended their lead against Pep Guardiola’s side, Kieran Trippier sending a free-kick from 25 yards soaring into the top corner.

St James’ Park was soon silenced, though, as two quickfire goals got City back level by the 64th minute. The prolific Haaland sparked the comeback, latching onto Rodri’s flick to slam home a volley from close range with 30 minutes left to play. Three minutes later, Kevin De Bruyne’s smart ball in behind found Bernardo Silva, who slid the ball past Nick Pope.

Both sides pushed for a winner in the frantic affair, but neither could find the breakthrough — Newcastle were boosted by keeping goalscorer Trippier on the pitch, who was shown a red card by referee Jarred Gillett until a VAR check turned the verdict to yellow.


More Similar Posts

Most Viewed Posts